Friday, May 1, 2009

Magnets and More Magnets

I finally got off my butt and ordered some magnets for some projects. They are mainly for getting my Tyranid monsterous creatures started since I have had an assault brood box and a hive tyrant sitting in my basement untouched for months and months. Originally I had bought some ~1/4 inch ones from my local craft store but the more I look at them they just seemed to big.

I ordered a whole range of sizes so I can try different things. I got 1/16 inch diameter ones at thicknesses of 1/32, 1/16, and 1/8. Let we tell you those 1/32 are tiny. Not sure if I will be able to use those. They might work for something like a speeder or attack bike since I can probably get away without countersinking them and the weapon is already partially held by the rail.

That is a 1/16 compared to a bolter. This is the diameter for space marine hand swaps. Now this is what the three lengths look like on the side.


I also got some 1/8 diameter which will probably be the mainstay for most pieces I hope. They seem a pretty good since for handling.


I also got some 3/16 for bigger parts like dreadnought arms and MC heads/arms. This size fits perfectly inside the Arm holes of the full plastic dreadnought kit. They are a little big for the Black Reach one.


All in all I got like 400 magnets for about 40 bucks including shipping. They even arrived really quickly (4 business days) without special postage or handling just normal first class from K&J magnets. Project 1 will probably be magnetizing my Dreadnought Arms since I have been using double sided tape when I want to use 2 dreads. Project 2 will then be a new predator with all the options to go with my more classic TL lascannon with HB sponsons.

4 comments:

  1. Cheers for the review and size comparison next to the bolter!
    Can I ask where you purchased the magnets from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're from K&J (i recognize the stickers on the baggies). K&J is awesome, I'm guessing you got your magnets within 2-3 days after ordering. Mine were shipped same day as ordered and arrived next day! The sampler packs are nice too. Have fun with them! Remember to mark polarity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, they are from K&J. I also checked out magnetcraft(Advertiser at Jawaballs Blood Angels site) but found that K&J had a better selection of sizes with the 1/16 and 3/8. I ordered on Friday, they shipped by the middle of the day, using normal first class postage the arrived by lunch on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete